2013/04/01

Designing good software takes time

File:Mythical man-month (book cover).jpg
Good cooking takes time. If you are made to wait, it is to serve you better, and to please you.
- Menu of restaurant antoine, new orleans
 
p17
...
When a task cannot be partitioned because of sequential constraints, the application of more effort has no effect on the schedule. The bearing of a child takes nine months, no matter how many women are assigned. Many software tasks have this characteristic because of the sequential nature of debugging.

Frederick P. Brooks, JR., "The Mythical Man-Month", Chapter 2 - The Mythical Man-Month
 
p254
...
The stranger sitting next to me was reading The Mythical Man-Month, and I was waiting to see if by word or sign he would react. Finally as we taxied toward gate, I could wait no longer:
 
"How is that book? Do you recommend it?"
"Hmph! Nothing in it I didn't know already."
 
I decided not to introduce myself.
 
"The Mythical Man-Month", Chapter 19 - The Mythical Man-Month after 20 Years.

No comments: